Thursday, August 25, 2016

In - Progress: Kara + Powell's Opening Reception

wip: Kara, 2016, archival ink stamped on paper14.5 x 16 inches

I am so excited that one week from today, I'll be celebrating my solo exhibition Typewriter Drawings & Other Obsessive Methods which will be on view at Powell's City of Books on Burnside in the Basil Hallward Gallery.

Come see me next Thursday, September 1 from 6:30-9pm--the gallery is located upstairs in the Pearl Room, adjacent to the Rare Book Room and the Art Books section. RSVP and more details here!

So pumped to share my new work with you! Kara, featured here, was made using hand-carved diamond-shaped stamps (polymer erasers are amazing for stamps FYI!) and archival ink on paper. Inspired by the four-color CMYK printing process, I considered color in quantity and intensity working from a photograph by layering just one color at a time: yellow, magenta, cyan and then black.

I love the way that the image gradually emerges--though I didn't work with color much in my chromophobic college printmaking experience, I did enjoy the magic of the drastic evolution as each new layer was added. Though less instantaneous, this process evokes a similar transfomative reveal.

In other exciting news, Luxe + Lens will be slinging our hot-off-the-press collaboration:

meta self-portrait--me swathed in my own face...


My typewriter-drawn self-portrait Outline has been transformed into a gorgeous limited edition silk scarf.  Powell's has kindly offered to waive their commission for the scarves for this event, allowing Luxe + Lens to sell directly on the night of the opening, which means that for each Outline scarf sold, $10 will be donated to my favorite non-profit Public Annex! This organization means so much to me and I'm so happy to have another great opportunity to give a little bit back to the community I so cherish.  

Hope to see you at the opening!

No comments:

Post a Comment